[Samba] Bizarre problem - happens only under XP and not 2000

Kier Darby kier at vbulletin.com
Thu Mar 13 16:46:50 GMT 2003

I have a very strange problem, which no one has been able to fathom to
this point so I'm hoping that someone here may have encountered
something similar. I'd better note down some background details first.

Relevant machines involved:
	Win2K Adv. Server SP3 (acting as Active Directory primary)
	Win2K Pro SP3 (authenticates against Win2K server above)
	WinXP Pro SP1 (authenticates against Win2K server above)
	Redhat 7.2 running Samba 2.2.1a in 'domain' mode (password
server is Win2K server)
	Redhat 8.0 running Samba 2.2.7 in 'domain' mode (password server
is Win2K server)

Here is the background of what I am trying to do. There is a CVS module
for a project I develop checked out on both of the Redhat machines,
which I manage using TortoiseCVS on the WinXP machine. Until this week I
was running only the RH7.2 machine and had no problems at all, but this
machine has got a little long in the tooth and so I built a new machine
to run RH8.

All the Windows machines are logged in using the same Active Directory
user, and I can access the shares on both Samba servers via Win2K and XP
with no problems, and have full read/write/delete permissions.

However, when I run a CVS update or checkout using the WinXP machine on
the RH8 box, I get lots of errors reporting that some directories that
were removed from the CVS module a long time ago could not be deleted as
they are not empty. Running the same update on the RH8 machine using
either of the Win2K boxes goes through with no errors. Running the same
CVS update on the RH7.2 machine with any of the Windows machines does
not produce the error.

This is what the CVS update ~should~ look like:

In \\plasma\home\kier\vb2: cvs -q update -d -P
CVSROOT=:pserver:{username}:{repository}

? language
? admin/spellcheck
? images/afp
? images/avatars
? images/styles/new/images

Success, CVS operation completed

And this is what it looks like when I run the same thing on the XP box
with the Samba 2.2.7 machine:

In \\plasma\home\kier\vb2: cvs -q update -d -P
CVSROOT=:pserver:{username}:{repository}

? language
? admin/spellcheck
? images/afp
? images/avatars
? images/styles/new/images
cvs update: cannot remove language: Directory not empty
cvs update: cannot remove images/styles/new/images: Directory not empty
cvs update: cannot remove images/avatars: Directory not empty
cvs update: cannot remove images/afp: Directory not empty
cvs update: cannot remove admin/spellcheck: Directory not empty

Success, CVS operation completed

Here is a summary of the results from running the update from different
machines:

Win2K with RH 7.2 / Samba 2.2.1a	NO ERRORS
WinXP with RH 7.2 / Samba 2.2.1a	NO ERRORS
Win2K with RH 8.0 / Samba 2.2.7	NO ERRORS
WinXP with RH 8.0 / Samba 2.2.7	ERRORS

>From this I can only assume that there is something weird going on with
XP + Samba 2.2.7, as all other factors seem to be the same.

Has anyone got any clue whatsover as to what might be happening here?

Thanks for your help,

Kier Darby
Product Manager, vBulletin