[Samba] Windows XP and plain text password

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 13 15:52:46 GMT 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Kenny Mann wrote:

> http://quics.qnx.com/cgi-bin/print_des.cgi?/usr/free/qnx4/tcpip/utils/+s
> amba-qnxbin-2.0.7.tgz

2.0.7 is way ancient - do you not have a more up to date version?

In any case Samba has it's own crypto routines for MS Windows clients.
Does your version have a binary called 'smbpasswd'? If so, then that is
what you need to create the encrypted password database.

Also, check the output of:
	testparm | grep encrypt

If it has a line that says 'encrypt passwords' then it is most likely that
your versions DOES have support for encrypted password handling.

As I indicated, plain text password support in MS Windows products had
most likely NOT been maintained since it was disabled by default. If you
revert to plain text passwords you will almost certainly run into serious
problems.

- John T.