[Samba] Backup - suggestions needed....

Chris McKeever cgmckeever at prupref.com
Wed Mar 12 20:28:47 GMT 2003

Linux RH 7.3, Samba 2.2.7a
NT 4.0 SP6 - Backup Exec 8.5

The linux box is running the Backup Exec client for Unix
('http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192093.htm')

Occasionally, when doing a backup the entire linux system freezes.  I have
to do a hard reboot without a shutdown, etc.
There is 40 plus gigs on the backup, so I dont think a tar and copy would be
bery efficient.

I am wondering a couple things here:

1.  Is anyone successfull with doing a backup off of linux using BE and the
BE agent for UNIX?

2.  Is there a better way to do this?  I thought I could be able to connect
to the samba share and pull it off that way, but that doesnt work...