[Samba] Is there a way?

Morgan Toal toalm at burlington.dst.ia.us
Wed Mar 12 20:23:18 GMT 2003

Esler, Joel Contractor wrote:

> Is there a way to make clients not see "hidden" shares?  Like we have an
> "I:" drive, but it's actually a "Common-Share"...

Appending a $ on to a share name will make it not browseable in Network Neighborhood.

Also saying "browseable = no" will also make it not browseable.

Also a DFS may be of interest to you. We have departmental shares in a DFS root share. That way, everyone sees drive "X:", with their department's folder inside.
All the departmental shares are in "X:" but the users only see the ones they have priveleges to.

DFS info: http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#MSDFS

Does this help?

mtoal