[Samba] Client hang w/Samba

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Mar 12 18:42:27 GMT 2003

Hi,

We are trying to move from a Novell to a Samba server here, but are
encountering a strange problem.

We are storing several applications on a Samba share and running them
from there.  Most are working OK.  For one particular application
(which requires read/write permissions on the server since it stores
data there), the first user to enter the application has no problems.
It is lightning fast.  The second user to enter the application will
just be stuck waiting for at least five minutes, and then experience
very slow loading after that.  But, if the first user exits the
application, the second user's session immediately continues at normal
speed.

This made me think that locking was to blame, so I went ahead and set
blocking locks = no for the share in smb.conf.  This did not solve the
problem; it appeared to have no impact at all.

Do you have any other suggestions for things I might try?

The server is Samba 2.2.3a and the clients are Windows 95 or 98.

Thanks,
John Goerzen