[Samba] pam_mkhomedir.so

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Mar 12 15:03:57 GMT 2003

> From: borpeter at post.cz
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 03 10:16:59 +0100
> Subject: [Samba] pam_mkhomedir.so

> Problem is how to setup samba for automatic home directory
> creating. Maybe smb.conf is incorrect, but if I create home
> directory manually, samba log me in without problems.
>
> Second question.Computers in network are under W2k PDC. Everytime
> I try to login into Mandrake via putty(ssh) and I'm not as local
> user (on mandrake) but I'm domain user, pam_mkhomedir.so writes
> this:'Can't change directory to /home/DOMAIN/user (No such file
> or directory)'. But if I manually create directory /DOMAIN under
> /home and change mode for /DOMAIN to 777 then directory /user
> will be create automatically.

You should only need to have all users have x permission on /home/DOMAIN
(ie chmod a+x /home/DOMAIN should do it).

> But this is valid only for ssh
> access. Samba still does not create directory /user.

As Andrew answered, use "obey restrictions = yes". BTW, you should not
need to modify your /etc/pam.d/samba at all if you use the method below:

> So. I need to setup auto creat of directory:/home/DOMAIN/user for
> each service.
>
> Next question is, if is possible to configure all of services
> (login, telnet, ftp, ssh, samba, kde...) centrally in one file or
> somewhere. Or it is not possible?

Replace your /etc/pam.d/system-auth with the
/etc/pam.d/system-auth-winbind that ships with Mandrake.

BTW, you can have Mandrake 9.0 setup winbind for you (only available in
installation) by doing an expert install, and choosing "Windows Domain"
as authentication method in the dialog where you enter the root
password. In the dialog where you are propmted for the domain
name/username/password to use to join the domain, just enter your domain
in capitals (small buglet, should be fixed for 9.1). In this case, you
do not need to worry about the /etc/pam.d/system-auth, it is done for you.

For more info on winbind setup in Mandrake (with some examples and some
configs that you may need to change) see:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks.tar.gz

Regards,
Buchan

- --