[Samba] WINS server not appearing in Nethood

Morgan Toal toalm at burlington.dst.ia.us
Wed Mar 12 14:58:55 GMT 2003

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've had a setup working for quite some time and everything's fine except that
> the server that hosts the WINS never appears in the network neighbourhood,
> and when trying to connect to that server there is a small delay.
>
> As few people need to browse to it, the problem's had a low priority as the
> WINS side of it is working fine, and the rest of the nethood is also working
> fine.
>
> However, when I tried to use smbclient to connect to itself today I saw an
> error message which may relate to the problem, and therefore possibly point
> to a fix.
>
> Below is the session I am talking about, followed by the basics from my
> smb.conf. 10.2.1.2 is a Linux box at a remote site, running as browse master
> for the Doncaster workgroup.
>
> [root at larry cgi-bin]# smbclient //larry/pdf
> added interface ip=10.1.1.101 bcast=10.1.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
> wins_srv_died(): Could not mark WINS server 127.0.0.1 down.
> Address not found in server list.
> Password:
> Domain=[LEEDS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]
> smb: \>

Firstly, have we restarted smbd and nmbd lately?

I just had an issue with cross-subnet browsing myself. You only need one WINS server for the whole WAN.

I removed all the remote browse announce and remote sync statements. I picked one samba box to be the WINS server, set the other samba boxen to use it for WINS. Each site in the WAN is it's own domain so each site needs a "domain master = yes".

regards,
mtoal