[Samba] winbind and the user id's it assigns problem

Sebastian Halder halder at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Mar 11 16:41:44 GMT 2003

Hi all,

We have a windows domain controller and an nis server here. I wanted to
get rid of the redundancy and authenticate the linux users through winbind
so they would all use their windows accounts even if they want to log onto
linux. So i set up an experimental linux box and eventually the
authentication worked. But then i wanted to mount the old home dirs on
this new machine and it became obvious that i did not take the changed
user and group ids into account.
So my question is wether there is a sensible way of mapping the original
nis uid's and gid's to the new winbind uid/gid or vice versa.
Is there some way to controll the uid/gid's winbind assigns?

thx for your help,
Sebastian Halder