[Samba] Transferring the printer database

Peter Carpenter peterc at osm.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 10:38:23 GMT 2003

>>Is there a way to transfer a Samba printer "database" from one version to
>>another? I tried copying the .tdb files from v2.2.6 to v2.2.8pre1 but it
>>didn't seem to work. Some sort of upgrade path is needed here - it's a lot
>>of work to start over if you've got a lot of printers.

? Tnx for the reply but is this "printconf-tui" thing anything to do with
Samba?

The issue here is transferring things like driver mappings, default paper
size, default tray and so on when you change the version of Samba. (The
stuff a Windows Administrator sets in printer "properties".) The driver
files themselves can be easily preserved or copied but the knowledge that
printer "xyz" is a HP Laserjet 4000 loaded with A4 paper in the lower tray
is stored somewhere in those mysterious .tdb files.
PCC