[Samba] Roaming Profiles with Samba PDC

Scott Millhisler sjmlistread at sjm.net
Tue Mar 11 01:03:54 GMT 2003

First of all, I would like to thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately you lost me on a couple of issues and I am hoping that you can clarify them.

We exchanged:

>> # User profile path
>>   logon path = \\%N\home\%u\ntprofile
>
>Suggest you try:
>
>	logon path = \\%L\home\%U\ntprofile
>
>Make absolutely sure that the directory 'ntprofile' exists (and is
>writable) - BEFORE - the uyser logs on.
>
>A MUCH better suggestion is to put profiles in a 'profiles' share, that is
>the way it is done in MS Windows land. It allows you to set more suitable
>smb.conf parameters for profile handling for the shared resource for which
>it may be needed.
>
>In this case you would have a share like:
>
>[Profiles]
>        comment = Roaming Profile Share
>        path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
>        read only = No
>        profile acls = Yes
>
>and the following to match it:
>
>        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

In this exchange you indicate that it would be better to have a 'profiles' share, contrasting it to my global definition of logon path.  I am not sure if you saw it or not, but in my original message it was a profiles share defined at the end.  It did differ from yours in that the path pointed to the science have used in the global area.

I created a profiles directory under the samba directory as indicated above.  Do I need to create subdirectories in that profiles directory for all of the users before they logon or will Windows create the subdirectories as needed during a user's first logon?

Also, you wrote to set my logon path to \\%L\Profiles\%U to match 'it'.  What 'it' are you referring to?  Should this logon path the set in the profiles share definitions or the global, thus replacing the one I have there now?  I currently do not have a profiles directory off of root, which is where I assume that would be referring to, but I can certainly create one.  Either that, or do I totally misunderstand the usage of %L?

From: John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org>
Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:36:31 +0000 (GMT)