[Samba] Fw: Win95 & Win98 - NOT WORKING - NT,2000, XP are ok (reposted)

maraqas maraqas at libero.it
Mon Mar 10 17:33:35 GMT 2003

Hi Peter,
    i had a long, frunstrating web surfing yesterday night, searching for
something
that could apply to your case. I didn't find much at all, sorry. The only
thing
perhaps interesting to you could be this:
http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/printer_driver2.html
This doc contains a section about migrating from 2.0.x to 2.2.x
I think the problem lyes in the new way samba manages printing, that is
by listening the MS-RPCs (Remote Procedure Call) coming from the
winNT and win2000 clients. This is done thanks to spoolss, as i figured
out reading here and there across the net. Well they say spoolss supports
even win9x driver calls, even if those OSes do not actually make an RPC.
They also say that backward compat. is reached through "use client driver"
and "spoolss disable". With these options enabled, the samba server should
act just like it was a 2.0.x
I think you'd need help from the samba guys themselves, so i advice
reposting this problem with a more shocking subject line (suggest to
use the keyword BUG :)) so you'll be able to capture their attention.

Really sorry not to have been useful to you...

cheers

Maq