[Samba] Samba 3.0alpha problems with w2k

Jens Nie Jens.Nie at uos.de
Sun Mar 9 12:33:24 GMT 2003

Hi everyone.

As noone has replied to my problem within the last 4 days i'll try again.

The problem was to integrate a linux-box for a guest at our company as perfect
as possible into our pure windows based network using authentication  against
a w2k-server, which was successfully solved using winbind from a precompiled
Samba 3.0alpha21-package from SuSE for their Distribution version 8.1. Having
modified the necessary pam-files to have this working, this works pretty
well. However it seems to be impossible to use a share from this LinuX-Box
(no matter if its the CD-Rom Drive or a users home-directory) in the windows
network as long as winbind is running. Each attempt to connect to this box
leads to an error. Windows-Boxes (all W2k) tell me that the linux-box is
visible but not connectable, while the linux-box itself complains about zero
returned byte at the connection request. This is all true for using an
existing Domain-User for the authentication (smbclient -L //linbox -U<valid
W2k-User>. Using anonymous login succesfully shows me all available shares
(smbclient -L //linbox -U%). So there seems to be something wrong with the
user authentication. If i stop the winbind daemon every user-share is visible
and usable (including the necessary authentication at the connection-process,
this must be somehow cached, as winbind is not running anymore, and
pam_winbind is not listed in /etc/pam.d/samba. I have no idea how this works
at the moment).

Any suggestions concerning this problem?

Regards

Jens Nie

--
				Dipl.-Phys. Jens Nie
	Research & Development/Physics, Rosen Inspection, Lingen