[Samba] Samba & WinXP: This connection has not been restored.

Sun Mar 9 02:18:18 GMT 2003

OK, this is a long date problem I'm having.

A Windows XP machine is accessing a Samba server. Some Samba sharings are
mapped to drive letters on Windows XP.

Sometimes, in randoms intervals of minutes to hours, all drives get
disconnected and this message appears if I try to access the mappings from
Windows XP:

--------
An error occurred while reconnecting (drive letter) to \\computer\\share
name Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
This connection has not been restored.
--------

About 20 or 30 seconds later I'm able to access the sharings again.

It happens even SECONDS AFTER the client had plenty access to the server.
It doesn't appears to be a timeout.

INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROBLEM
-----------------------------

1. The client is a Windows XP Professional SP1. The problem also happened
with earlier versions of Windows XP. The system language is Brazilian
Portuguese.

2. The Samba version is currently 2.2.7a. The problem also happened with
earlier versions of Samba, since 2.2.3 (not sure) AND with newer, like
3.0.

3. The operating system is FreeBSD, release 4.7 with security branch
updated. The problem also happened with earlier versions of FreeBSD, like
4.6 and 4.5. Version 5.0 not tested yet.

4. The network cards are Realtek 8139 (10/100), the simply and cheap
realtek 8139. Concentrator is a SVEC 8-port, 10/100, network switch.

YES and NO ABOUT THE PROBLEM

YES, the Windows XP was reinstalled from scratch and the problem persists.

NO, it doesn't appears to happen with Windows 98 (other machines on our
network).

---

I think this is what I have to say for now.

I hope anyone can help on this issue, as well someone else also get
helped.

Best regards,

---
Conrado Vardanega