[Samba] Password Expiration

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Mar 8 17:54:22 GMT 2003

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, richard wrote:

> is it possible to send feedback from this command back to the user
> during logon? ie: to commonicate no of days until password expires etc.

I have not tried to implement this in PAM. Others who have claim it is not
possible. It is my impression that it can be done, but would involve
creating a new PAM modules that simply picks up Unix account data and then
writes this information to /etc/issue or /etc/motd or such file. The
method would be rather convoluted and obviously not to every adminstrators
tastes.

As for implementing it is Samba, we are working to replicate the MS
Windows NT/2K user access control technology in a manner that is
independant of the way this works in the Unix OS. Integrating them can be
done (it is now partially through PAM) but has too many horendous side
effects.

- John T.