[Samba] Migration from WindowsNT to Samba

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 09:19:10 GMT 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:47:35AM +0100, JaS at codan.com wrote:
> My problem is when I copy the files, I want the ownership of the files
> preserved. When I copy the files, as it is now, the user copying the files
> are set as owner. This is not, what I want. I want the original owner to
> own the files after copying. And I'm not talking about files in personal
> shares, it is the public and group shares with several possible file
> owners.

I think the standard answer to "how do I keep ownerships/ACLs when
copying files in NT" is "use scopy from the resource kit". scopy is a
Windows NT command-line tool that works just like xcopy, but can
retain ownerships and permissions. In Windows 2000 that functionality is
available in the standard xcopy program, but I think there still isn't a
way to do it from explorer. This has always been one of NT's significant
flaws as a file server - you don't really have any more advanced tools
for managing this kind of thing than you do on a single-user
workstation.

--
Michael Heironimus