[Samba] samba backup software

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Mar 7 00:55:42 GMT 2003

Rick,

I use XFS as my filesystem.  (included with SuSE/Mandrake/United Linux, patch =
avail. for Redhat and vanilla kernel)

It comes with a very powerful backup tool xfsdump.  xfsdump writes the backup =
level into each files metadata (i.e. EA - Extended Attributes).

A full backup is a level 0 backup. =20

A level 1 backs up all files changed since the level 0.

A level 2, gets everything since the last level 1 (or 0).

A level 3, everything since the last level 2 (or 1 or 0).

Etc. thru level 9.   If you setup a nice schedule, you can ensure a small =
number of tapes req. for restore.

The other nice thing about xfsdump is that it backs up ACLs (if enabled in =
Samba).  Most backup solutions don't do that.

Unfortunately, I don't think xfsdump has any support for an autoloader. (I =
don't have one).

But, I do think that Amanda can be used as a backup manager to handle the =
autoloader and invoke xfsdump as required.=20

I've not used Amanda.

Greg=20