[Samba] samba backup software

Rick Segeberg rick.segeberg at waterford.org
Thu Mar 6 22:23:38 GMT 2003

I'm curious to what people are using for backing up their samba servers.
Here's are some specs to consider:

- 1TB (yes, that's terabyte) of data
- multiple servers backup to one tape drive connected to a server
(preferably a linux system)
- using an autoloader (in this case, an HP 1/9 LTO system)
- need to be able to backup daily changes and/or changes since last full
backup

Currently I'm using Backup Exec from NetWare.  The *nix client has no
support to do anything but a full.  The archive bit obviously won't
work, and backing up based on date doesn't seem to work either (it still
does a full).  I'm interested in finding a native linux solution since I
don't see a lot of point in having to use a Windows server with a *nix
client when I'm trying to get away from Windows.

If you have suggestions or are using something you are happy with,
please respond.  Currently, I'm evaluating Novastor's Novanet 8.5.  I
know there are others that I can eval, I'm just interested in finding
out what others are using and happy with.

Thanks.

Rick Segeberg
Provo Site Manager, IT Department
The Waterford Institute
rick.segeberg at waterford.org <mailto:rick.segeberg at waterford.org>

This email may contain privileged or confidential material intended for the named recipient only.
If you are not the named recipient, delete this message and all attachments.
Any review, copying, printing, disclosure or other use is prohibited.
We reserve the right to monitor email sent through our network.