[Samba] Many processes per user

Francesc Guasch frankie at etsetb.upc.es
Thu Mar 6 12:12:30 GMT 2003

I have a samba server that starts creating a lot
of processes for each connected user, until it
renders the system unusable. Then restarting samba
solves it all.

The last time it crashed I saw 10-12 processes
per user. The number of processes keeps growing until
we restarted samba.

Right now it's working but I see there are 25
of smbd from root. That wasn't happening before.
I recall there was only one root process.

This is
   redhat-release-7.3-1
   kernel-2.4.17
   samba-2.2.7-1.7.3

In addition I see there is an ugly duplicated samba
rpm installed. But when I connect to samba it tells
me it's 2.2.7
rpm -q samba returns : samba-2.2.4-2 & samba-2.2.7-1.7.3

I'm checking the logs looking for something weird.
The mailing list archives didn't help me.

Any hints ?

--
frankie