[Samba] Windows 98 cannot access Samba

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 6 01:08:35 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Paul Hong wrote:

> Hi,
> Works fine with Win2K or XP, but when I go to a Win98 system.
> "You must supply a password to make this connection:
> Resource: \\bigred\ipc$
> password: i put in all the password, but none of them work.

On the Samba server does the following work:

	smbclient -L localhost -U%

If not then you possibly do not have a guest account enabled. On most unix
system the guest account maps to 'nobody' or it's equivalent. On some
systems this has uid 65534, which is a bad thing. If that is the case on
your system, then create a separate system account called 'pcguest' and
then in your smb.conf [globals] put:
	guest account = pcguest

That should solve this problem.

- John T.