[Samba] Samba as master browsre and WINS server ???

Sutto Zoltan sutto.zoltan at rutinsoft.hu
Wed Mar 5 22:14:48 GMT 2003

Hi!

I have a RedHat 7.3 box running Samba 2.2.7.

What are the necessary settings in [global] section which make Samba Master
browser and a WINS server for a workgroup on my subnet?
There are Windows 98 and XP computers on my net.

I have put  the following settings in  [global] section.
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        os level = 65
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast host
        dns proxy = No
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins support = Yes

When nmbd starts it won the forced election to be a local master browser for
WORKGROUP.
After some time a Windows 98 or XP computer becomes the MASTER browser.
In this case users can be able to browse the network using Network
Neighborhood.

The address of WINS server (samba) is provided a DHCP server running a
seperate linux
on the subnet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx