[Samba] samba domain logon stalls

Hans-Peter Bernhard h.p.bernhard at ieee.org
Wed Mar 5 19:22:18 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I need your help with an unpleasent problem because I cannot reproduce
the behaviour on demand. The problem occures relatively randomly.

Samba 2.2.7a works fine 2-3 days on a SUSE LINUX 7.3 with kernel
2.4.10-64GB-SMP.
The server is file server and "NT-PDC" for about 200 w2k clients.
About 800 user use the server and the passwords are stored in an ldap
database.
The server is printer server with lprng and distributes the printer
drivers via printerservice.

All 2-3 days the response time of the samba server via w2k clients slows
down until it is impossible to login the domain because the response
time is about 5-10 minutes.

But, at the same time, if I mount a share via smbclient from a unix
client -> no problem.
If I restart the samba server immediately all things are going well.
AND login processes that hung for minutes continue successfully.

One behaviour is also typical in such a situation: If I type smbstatus
the response is very slow and you can follow the output line by line.
Not so during normal operation, everything is without any noticeable
response time.

What have I done so far:
I considered the logfiles with various debug levels and I noticed
nothing unusual. no error or timeout .... nothing.
I considert top -> there are no unusual process loads.
On the unix server seems all ok, but it is not as we can proof by
restarting smbd.

I have just one hint: I usually connect the printers via startup.bat and
use con2prt to connect the network printers. If I dont use this service
it worked 2 weeks without this problem.

Unfortunately I am not able to define a begin of this problem but the
server is in use since 1999 with all the upgrades to 2.2.7a and the
problems occure since december.

If there is anyone who can give me hints how to solve this problem.

I am really distress because 200 user can be relatively impatient :-(((

yours

hpb

|                  Dr. Hans-Peter BERNHARD                    |
|   Inst. for Communications   |          HTBLA-Steyr         |
| and Information Engineering  |     Schluesselhofgasse 63    |
|  Johannes Kepler University  |         A-4400 Steyr         |
|       Linz, AUSTRIA          |           AUSTRIA            |
|   Phone: +43-732-2468-9711   |   Phone: +43-7252-72914-42   |
|   Fax  : +43-7252-72914-25   |   Fax  : +43-7252-72914-25   |