[Samba] problems with logging in with w95/nt4.0: solution?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Mar 5 15:24:04 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Kurt Weiss wrote:

> i did read in last days more and more postings with "cannot login with
> windows 95/nt40 to samba after updating samba" access denied...
>
> now one of my technican had the same problem:
> *) the user can login with w2k/xp/w98
> *) but he cannot login with w95: access denied
>
> the reason was following:
> *) the user used UPPERCASE letters in the password.
> *) w95 did send the password as lowercase...
>
> maybe somebody helps this...

This is a known issue. That is what the "username level" and "password
level" parameters are for. This allows us to to skip around the
limitations of Microsoft clients. You should also be aware that this may
vary with the service pack that is installed on the Windwos client.

Out of curiosity are you running plain-text or encrypted passwords?

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org