[Samba] XP "logon failure" but still logs on -- no roaming profile

Brian White bcwhite at precidia.com
Tue Mar 4 23:07:41 GMT 2003

I'm having a problem with roaming domains on Samba v3.0-alpha21.  I've
connected the machine (watertown) to the domain (precidia) via the
server (griffon).  I've logged on with my userid (bcwhite) and seen
my roaming profile get created on the server upon logoff.  Future logons
grab the roaming profile and everything is fine.

However, _sometimes_ I get a window with the message:

  Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
  attempting to log you on with your local profile.

  Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff.
  Possible causeses of this error include network probelms or insufficient
  security rights.  If this problem persists, contact your network
  administrator.

  DETAIL - logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

However, the system continues to log me on (presumably with the local copy
of my profile).  Upon logoff, the copy of my profile on the samba server
is not updated.

I know I'm using the correct password.  If I try the wrong password, I get
a different window and no logon:

  The system could not log you on.  Make sure your User name and domain are
  correct, then type your password again.  Letters in passwords must be typed
  using he correct case.

What I don't understand is why this only happens sometimes.  I rebooted
and then was able to log in fine.  Log out, log in fine.  Log out, log
in fails.  Reboot.  Log in fine, log out, log in fails every time until I
reboot again.  I don't understand.

I had logging set to level 200 and captured the following logs.

	start samba
	login (fail)	http://bcwhite.dhs.org/~bcwhite/log.smbd-err.gz
	reboot
	login (okay)	http://bcwhite.dhs.org/~bcwhite/log.smbd-ok.gz
	logout
	login (okay)
	logout
	login (fail)
	logout
	login (fail)
	[...]
	reboot
	login (okay)
	logout
	login (fail)
	stop samba	http://bcwhite.dhs.org/~bcwhite/log.smbd-full.gz

Note, the log files are 72kB, 121kB, and 4.3MB (compressed), respectively.

All help very much appreciated!

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite at precidia.com )