[Samba] Windows 2K/XP Profile/Homedir replication issue?

K. Hawkes k.hawkes at darknyte.force9.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 22:26:36 GMT 2003

Hey there,

Just a question for you Samba 2.2.x gurus out there :)

We have a contingent (a steadily increasing contingent) of Win2K and WinXP
workstations.
Does anyone here know how to stop the profiles from replicating?
If we create a file in the profile dir, say \\PDC\UserHome\profile.doc.
It will replicate that to the profile directory, while one file or two files
are not a problem, we use classroom based logins, so they all login at once
and it's transferring the whole \\PDC\UserHome dir around everywhere it
goes, it does it when you login and logout, so if everyone saves work there,
as you can imagine, login/logout times take a long long time.

Anyone got a work-around for this or is it just us who are having this
problem?

Cheers,

Mr. K. Hawkes

"May darkness be your only ally, for in the shadows you can hide" - Kris
1998-2002
"In darkness, there is strength." - Kris 2002
"What we do in life echoes in eternity." - Anon