[Samba] Cannot sync browser lists

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Tue Mar 4 14:48:44 GMT 2003

> > I was also under the impression that
> > wins allowed a server on a different subnet to show up in
> > network-neighborhood, by syncing browse lists with the domain
> > master browser (in this case, an nt wins server and pdc).
>
> not correct. If I understand this correctly wins provides the
> address of the pdc so the local-subnet-master-browsers can sync
> their browse-lists with it.

Okay, well samba isn't syncing browse lists anymore:

[2003/03/04 09:30:27, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:domain_master_node_status_fail(262)
  domain_master_node_status_fail:
  Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
  for workgroup [DOMAIN_NAME] at IP [PDC/WINS Server IP] failed.
  Cannot sync browser lists.

> > By point to point I mean a network where there are two
> > ends, A and B.  B is in its own subnet, no broadcast, it
> > uses A as its gateway/router.  There is nothing else in that
> > subnet.  B access the network through A.
> > The samba server is B.  B is a local master, but not a
> > domain master.
> >

> I assume routing from the pdc back to samba is ok. Did you
> specify your
> ppp interface in "interfaces = .." ?
> We used a samba box to share a dialup a couple of years back with
> similar unreliable browse-lists. From memory if samba was restarted
> AFTER the ppp interface came up it worked quicker. hope this helps,

Yup, routing is okay, and winbind domain authentication works to the
Same pdc.  The interface is defined in smb.conf.  Smbd/nmbd is started
after the network, so that shouldn't be the problem, and restarting it
does not help.

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.