[Samba] Sybiz Accounting + 2.2.7 = ????

Wolfram Quester wquester at mittelerde.physik.uni-konstanz.de
Tue Mar 4 11:33:31 GMT 2003

Hello Earl,

I remember that there are oplock issues together with FoxPro. Try to
disable all the oplock parameters in smb.conf by setting them to false,
i.e.

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 07:11:56PM +1100, Earl White wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Got some hassles with a client running Sybiz accounting. This is a FoxPro
> application developed in VB6.
In man smb.conf you should especially look at the parameter called
"dos filetime resolution" this might be applicable to your problem.

> We're just through the exercise of eliminating all the pieces that might be
> causing problems and unfortunately that might include Samba.....
>
> Running Samba 2.2.7 on Red Hat 7.3. All clients are running either Windows
> 2000 or Win XP.
>
> We're getting cases of workstations being able to see files via Win
> Explorer, update data in various utilities such as the Sybiz "eyeball"
> while some functions such as reindexing will occassionaly give a file
> access error.
This sounds like an oplock problem to me and I remember that there are
oplock issues together with FoxPro. Try to disable all the oplock
parameters in smb.conf by setting them to false, i.e.

(G) kernel oplocks = no
(S) level2 oplocks = no
(S) oplocks = no

The (G) and (S) stand for the global or per share section in smb.conf
respectively.
If this solves your problem you can slowly enable oplocks again, using
the parameters

fake oplocks
veto oplock files

Advanced stuff are
oplock break wait time
oplock contention limit
but for these you should consider the warnings in man smb.conf.

HTH,

Wolfi