[Samba] Sybiz Accounting + 2.2.7 = ????

Earl White earl at accessinternational.com.au
Tue Mar 4 08:11:56 GMT 2003

Hi all,

Got some hassles with a client running Sybiz accounting. This is a FoxPro
application developed in VB6.

We're just through the exercise of eliminating all the pieces that might be
causing problems and unfortunately that might include Samba.....

Running Samba 2.2.7 on Red Hat 7.3. All clients are running either Windows
2000 or Win XP.

We're getting cases of workstations being able to see files via Win
Explorer, update data in various utilities such as the Sybiz "eyeball"
while some functions such as reindexing will occassionaly give a file
access error.

They're also getting some "unusual" accounting errors, but I'm inclined to
think that this is more of an application problem.

Because they're only in a small workgroup, basically every user has full
read/write access to all the files in the share.

Needless to say, as this is odd ball part of the system, the general advice
is to get rid of the Linux/Samba system and use Windows 2000 Server -
something I'd rather not do as I don't feel this will be the solution to
the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Earl