[Samba] Samba, CUPs & Win2000 printing

jason at macservice.com.au jason at macservice.com.au
Tue Mar 4 01:32:16 GMT 2003

...done some more investigating on the Win2000 - Samba/CUPS print problem
I posted earlier. As I said before, everything works fine using Samba as
PDC with Win2000 client on a test network except for printing to this
printer. I can print to this printer from the Linux machine through X ok.

If I try an

#echo "^MHello World^L" | smbclient "//sambaserver/printername"

...from a shell on the Linux/Samba machine I get:

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

I have verified that I am using the correct case when when typing the
share names as I've heard that smbclient is case sensitive. If I try from
the DOS prompt on the Win2000 client (echo Hello^L >
\\sambaserver\printername) I get "The network path was not found" but I
can ping the Samba server using the machine name from the Win2000 client?

If I do an:

#smbclient -L //sambaserver -Uusername

The printer share name appears in the list?

I also tried adding the printer to the Win2000 client using
"http://sambaserver:631/printers/printername" but I then get  a message:

"Could not connect to printer. Access denied"

Are there any other tests I can do to narrow down where the problem could
be? I've spent days trying to figure this out and havent really managed to
get anywhere?

..I apologise once again for my basic Linux knowledge at the moment - I'm
getting there.

Jase

"Bradley W. Langhorst" <brad at langhorst.com> wrote on 01/03/2003 01:27:56
AM: