[Samba] printer configuration issue

haiku at lowplaces.net haiku at lowplaces.net
Mon Mar 3 19:16:10 GMT 2003

I've installed Samba 2.2.7a on my SuSE 8.1 system in an effort to
persuade it to act as a print server on my LAN, which consists of it
and 6 Windows desktops of various flavors.  Right away it seemed to
allow file sharing and printing from DOS and became browsable from the
Network Neighborhood, but I can't get it to print from Windows.  I
keep getting a Status of "Access denied, unable to connect", even when
simply trying to print a test page.  A perusal of the Samba logs has
been inconclusive as has a poring through both Samba and SuSE
documentation.  I'm guessing that it's a stupid permission or
authentication configuration I've overlooked, but it's making me
crazy!

I tried to keep my smb.conf very simple:

# This is /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

[global]
    netbios name = penguin
    workgroup = workgroup