[Samba] Samba 2.2.7 problem

Sutto Zoltan suttozoltan at chello.hu
Mon Mar 3 18:16:31 GMT 2003

I am running Samba 2.2.7 on a Red Hat 7.3 box.

1. I have some windows xp computer on my network.
With the following settings the Samab can not able to win the election.
        local master = No
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = No

changing to
        local master = Yes
It can. How these settings should work?

2. When samba is running (ps -ax)
 1828 ?        S      0:00 smbd -D
 1833 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D
 1834 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D

When I trying to restart/stop smb I receive the following error message
Shutting down SMB services:                                [  OK  ]
Shutting down NMB services: /etc/init.d/smb: kill: (1834) - No such process
                                                           [  OK  ]

After this (ps -ax) I still have a running nmbd process
     1897 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D

What's wrong? How can I fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx