[Samba] Cannot sync browser lists

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Mon Mar 3 12:41:27 GMT 2003

> umm you lost me...lets start again.
> remember, wins is for name resolution. What do you mean point to point
> connection? ie Ras or vpn ? whatever you dial into has to
> include you in
> their browse list or your samba box has to be a local browse
> master and
> sync browse lists with the pdc after a wins lookup. It is a domain
> member right? If i've erred I hope someone will correct me.

Yes, wins is for name resolution.  I was also under the impression that
wins allowed a server on a different subnet to show up in
network-neighborhood, by syncing browse lists with the domain master
browser (in this case, an nt wins server and pdc).

By point to point I mean a network where there are two ends, A and B.  B
is in its own subnet, no broadcast, it uses A as its gateway/router.
There is nothing else in that subnet.  B access the network through A.
The samba server is B.  B is a local master, but not a domain master.

The samba server is a domain member, with winbind and security = domain,
and that part is working.  The part that isn't working is:

nmbd[19140]: [2003/03/03 06:44:18, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:domain_master_node_status_fail(262)
nmbd[19140]:   domain_master_node_status_fail:
nmbd[19140]:   Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
nmbd[19140]:   for workgroup [my_domain] at IP [ip addr of nt pdc/wins]
failed.
nmbd[19140]:   Cannot sync browser lists.

The domain name and ip address are correct, and an nmap -P0 -sU -p
137-139 (ip_addr) shows:
Port       State       Service
137/udp    open        netbios-ns
138/udp    open        netbios-dgm
139/udp    open        netbios-ssn

But samba won't sync browse lists.

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.