[Samba] Only printing one copy

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Mar 2 12:51:36 GMT 2003

This was discussed earlier on this board with another printer (Dec 15). It
was a driver problem. You might check the archives.

At least as far as postscript printing files, samba has nothing to do
with generating multiple copies. The print file sent by the client
contains within it the instructions for generating multiple copies.
I assume you filter the job on the windows client before sending it to
the samba server.

Things to try/think about:

If you print directly from the client to the printer, without samba in
the way, how many copies do you get?  This will check if your windows
printer driver is working.

If you change your print command to something like:
print command = echo This is the job %s > /tmp/jobname
and then try:
cat job > /dev/lp0 (I haven't tried this command for a while, but I think
this is right. Your lp may be different.)
how many copies do you get?  This bypasses your printing software on linux.

An almost sure solution is to filter your jobs on the windows client
with the HP laserjet III plus (or similar driver). Send this job to
the same queue you use for the jobs generated from the samba server.

Joel