[Samba] Adding printer stops with "Operation could not be completed"

Tor Bechmann Sørensen tor at studentergaarden.dk
Sun Mar 2 04:22:38 GMT 2003

When trying to add the drivers downloaded & extracted from HP
(lj456ps.inf from lj632en.exe) I get the following message:

"Unable to install HP LaserJet 5P/5MP Postscript, Windows NT 4.0 or 200,
Intel driver. Operation could not be completed."

I also tried installing win95/98 drivers. In this case some files are
copied but then I get the equivalent of the above message for 95/98.

I am adding them from a windows XP machine. I am loggin onto the samba
shares with my account which is in the staff group on the server.

When I try to change some settings in the properties, like "hold
mismatched documents" I get an access denied error message.

Ive set up my smb.conf like this (relevant lines only):

[global]
  printer admin = @staff

[print$]
    path = /var/prndrv
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @staff

/var/prndrv looks like this

drwxrwxr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Mar  2 03:07 W32ALPHA
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Mar  2 03:08 W32MIPS
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Mar  2 03:08 W32PPC
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Mar  2 05:18 W32X86
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Mar  1 20:43 WIN40

and /var/prndrv itself has same ownership/permissions.

I am using samba 2.2.5.

The host specific log noodless.log (noodless is the win client i use to
add the drivers from), shows no error messages. It does give a lot of
messages, too much to quote here, but none of them are informative to me.

Help would be appreciated

Regards
Tor Bechmann Sorensen