[Samba] PDC disconnected until restart (NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVER - or so)

Olaf Grewe ogrewe at fahrradstation.de
Mon Jun 30 22:09:37 GMT 2003

Hi,

We experience an every-now-and-then problem with our samba PDC. For a couple of days or so, the PDC runs just fine. Then, one after another, the workstations (Win9x, NT4/SP6a, Win2000/SP3) complain about the PDC not being there and refuse to logon users (naturally). The only workstation that's still able to see and connect to the PDC is the one that's on the same broadcast domain. An smbclient -L CLIENT -U username then yields an NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVER (or so) error. A simple /etc/init.d/samba/restart gets every workstation back on the domain until the next time.
Our setup is as follows: About 15 workstations are on five different subnets. Four of them connect via an ISDN router to the fifth. This 'backbone' has a bandwidth of 64K for each subnet and has a rather high latency (takes about 7 sec until smbclient is done). The samba PDC (2.2.3a) runs under Debian stable, it gets updated on a regular basis via apt-get update/upgrade. A second samba server (formerly the PDC) does it's job as a file server. The PDC does logon-scripts, policies, shares and domain authentication, no printing, no profiles.
In case anybody is interested, I'll attach the smb.conf and a log.nmbd that covers a perion in which at least one workstation (UNION) already lost the domain connectivity.

Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance
	Olaf