[Samba] Cups or Samba?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jun 30 21:13:36 GMT 2003

Halászy-Kiss Ágoston agoston at simeis.net

> Mon Jun 30 21:07:00 GMT 2003

[....]

> What I discovered:
>
> - after linux box boot it didn't print from any winXP, booting process
>   includes starting cupsd and smbd
> - but if I reload samba it starts to print
> - it seems to me samba didnt load printers at the boot process
>
> Any ideas, solutions?

cupsd *must* be completely up and running for Samba to pick up the
printer list.

* Make sure that cupsd is started well before smbd (and make sure
   that you get a return code of 0 for the "lpstat -r" before you
   try to start smbd

* Make sure that CUPS writes a "printcap" file by enabling the
   "Printcap /etc/printcap" directive in cupsd.conf.

> Please post me at : agoston at simeis.net
> Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Kurt