[Samba] mounting smbfs

Thierry Wouters csmtjw at bath.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 18:20:45 GMT 2003

Hi all

I want to mount a smbfs file system in the /mnt/mountdir directory of my
linux system.

My problem is that I can only mount it when I am logged as root, which
means that only root has an r/w access to the mounted file system,
whilst other users only have a read-only access. I've tried to change
the permission and/or ownership of the mounted directory, but the system
refused to do so.

When I tried to mount the filestyem under a user account, I had an error
   message telling me that I needed smbmnt installed. I entered the
following command as root:

smbmnt /mnt/mountdir -u myusername

...and now, there is something weird happening to this directory: It
still exists but I can't enter it or remove it.

How can I undo the smbmnt command and what do I have to do to mount the
smbfs file system so that users other than root can have a r/w access to
it????

Thanx in advance for your help

Thierry