[Samba] Add Machine Failed

cmc at cat.savycat.com cmc at cat.savycat.com
Sun Jun 29 00:44:57 GMT 2003

I know I am getting tiresome to this list, but I can't see what I am doing
wrong, which is obviously something.  I am new to samba as far as setting
it up as a PDC.  I am not having trouble accessing sanba shares when I set
my computer to be part of a workgroup, but when I try to configure samba
server as a PDC, i get the following message:

The account used is a computer account.  Use your global or local user
account to access this server.

I have added the following line to smb.conf:

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

The domain I am trying to join is not the same as the workgroup I am trying
to leave.

Savy is my machine name. I see the following in the savy.log file every time
I try to join the domain:

[2003/06/28 18:23:41, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwnam(1369)
  unable to open passdb database.
[2003/06/28 18:23:41, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:add_smbfilepwd_entry(575)
  add_smbfilepwd_entry: unable to open file.
[2003/06/28 18:23:41, 0]
rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_api_samr_create_user(1929)
  Failed to add entry for user savy$.

[2003/06/28 18:23:42, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:get_md4pw(176)
  get_md4pw: Workstation savy$: no account in domain

My smb.conf contains the following :

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name

   workgroup = boostus
   netbios name = alvarado
   os level = 64
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon drive = h:
   logon home = \\alvarado\home\%u

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx, cups
   printing = cups

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 0

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M
%u

   pam password change = yes
   obey pam restrictions = yes

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

   wins support = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775
# If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped to a guest user
; map to guest = bad user

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

tia,