[Samba] Samba 3 beta + LDAP going from Samba 2.2.7a GID problem

MICHAEL BROWN MBROWN at mesainc.com
Fri Jun 27 15:26:28 GMT 2003

Hello,
I am trying to test out the new beta 3.0 version but I am running into an issue with GID/UID's in my OpenLDAP tree.  I have compiled the beta with:
--with-ldapsam --with-ads=no
I do not run a PDC environment and do not plan to do so.
The problem I see in the log is this error:
sid_to_gid: SID S-1-5 bla bla -1002 is *NOT* a group

(the user that I am trying to authenticate with has a primary group membership of 1002)
I have in my smb.conf file this:
passdb backend = ldapsam_compat

The log shows that Samba sees the LDAP database and sees the MD4 password for the user but it seems to not understand the existing LDAP
attribute "primaryGroupID".  I would guess this is due to the fact of the ADS uid/gid additions the SAMBA team is adding. If I read the SAMBA
notes right, it states that the "ldapsam_compat" switch (without quotes) would allow you to use the old LDAP attributes/schemas that were used
in the past.  Is this not the case or am I missing something?  An additional note, I used my old schemas and did not use the new SAMBA 3 schemas
so this should work like it does with the existing 2.2.7a, correct?

I would like to not update the LDAP database to the new schema extensions if at all possible, hence using the ldapsam_compat switch.  I also hope
that the SAMBA team does not force ADS as the main backend and keep the "REAL" LDAP trees that are out there today =)

Thanks.
Mike