[Samba] Mapping User from ADS

Jay Winks Jay.Winks at teksouth.com
Fri Jun 27 14:11:16 GMT 2003

>> It's [Samba ADC replacement for X2k] the kind of thing a lot of people are
>> trying to pull off, but very few of them are working together :-)

If I knew who they were, I'm totally willing to collaborate to reach a goal. It's kinda the only way to get something big done.

>> What particular features of AD do you need?  How much effort are you willing
>> to put in to achieve these features?

It's hard to encapsulate... our org has been running it almost since it hit the market and I've just been looking more and more at alternatives (MS looks scarier to me every day). But the only way I can sell it to management is if the road taken is still interoperable with *everything* currently in place. One big thing would be to still be able to use ADSI to get/set info from the workstations and member servers. Some of the applications we have developed over the years leverage ADSI pretty heavily and if a SAMBA backend still "talks the talk" from that standpoint, that's agood thing.

>> It's not much action - if you go to www.samba-tng.org you can browse the
>> mailing-list archives.

I will take a look to see what's going on. I'm far from a great programmer, but maybe I can help in some way.

>> I would love to see what Exchange (and I don't think you can run 2000, only
>> 5.5) requires of it's DC.

AFAIK, Exchange 5.5's demands on a DC are pretty light, seeing as how NT4 domains are all you need, and not even much of that. It's because 5.5 is its own direrctory store, whereas X2k extends the AD schema and uses that, sharing exchange info amongst the DCs. But you know all this stuff, I'm sure.

>> The usual solution for Exchange 2000 is the running on it's own PDC, and
>> trusting Samba.

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring out. It's somewhat acceptable for now, but I'd like to see even less dependence on MS for anything other than Exchange. Truly long run, I'd love to use another mail server, but I haven't found one that does all the things my users need like Exchange does. Personally, if there's one thing MS does pretty well, that's it.

Thanks for the input, Andrew. I will check out TNG.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net