[Samba] IDMAP usage

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 26 00:32:55 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 21:28, Fabricio Adorno wrote:
> Hi, all
>

> I have a ldap server where I have defined all of my linux users and groups.
> I'd like to store the SID<->(UID,GID) mapping there too using idmap, but I
> don't know how to configure a directory entry to handle idmap storage. I
> couldn't find how to do it in Samba-Howto-Collection (6th June 2003) and the
> man pages seems to be incomplete. If someone have done it, I'll be glad to
> have some help.

Samba 3.0 is designed to do this quite nicely - the schema file is in
examples/LDAP/samba.schema.

You configure it by saying:

idmap backend = ldap:ldap://my.ldap.server

Are you using ldap for Samba accounts too, or just for IDMAP?

If you are using it for IDMAP/unix only, then things are not as
'pleasant' as they should be in how it's stored - it's on my todo list
to fix.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org