[Samba] Setting up home directories.

Chris Shafer wcshafer at cablespeed.com
Wed Jun 25 19:39:49 GMT 2003

/*
 * If this did actually make it to the list already Im sincerly sorry.
 * It appears subject only in the linux.samba group.
 */

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions about using the user home directories. Is
it necessary to keep the smbpasswd file in sync with the passwd file.
When user level security is turned on. From what I have been able to
figure out is that these files do not auto-magically sync up and that the
only real way to keep them in sync is to do it manually, unfortunately
from what I have been able to gather this also requires knowing the
users password and if the change it using unix these changes will not
be reflected in the smbpasswd file. Is there away to keep these files in
sync and I'm just unable to find it in the documentation (I read through
almost all of the documentation available on the samba.org website).

Or maybe you can provide a better solution to my problem. I'm in the
process of setting up a Linux file server for my old high schools web
design and typing class. The way I have it set up so far is that each
user gets a unix username and a entry added to the smbpasswd file. Using
a little perl program I hacked together (toad.net/~cshafer/addstudent).
Is there a better way to do this (ldap maybe?)?

Thanks,
Chris Shafer