[Samba] smb_pam_accountcheck: PAM: Account validation failed...

Julian Gomez julian at fomema.com.my
Thu Jun 26 14:30:36 GMT 2003

Firstly, I've already solved the daft mistake of mine. I'm merely sending
it in so the next person digging through the archives might get helped out.

I've configured Samba v2.2.8a, alot of default settings. No LDAP
interaction, no winbindd. Accounts were created both in '/etc/passwd' &&
'smbpasswd', but whenever I tried to mount a share from my RedHat box, the
following got logged in '/var/log/messages' :

Jun 25 12:04:54 beastic smbd[13211]: smb_pam_accountcheck: PAM: Account
Validation Failed - Rejecting User juliangomez!

A Google search turned up answers that those errors are usually due to
either an entry in smbpasswd / passwd not existing properly. Anyways,
another possible cause is :

obey pam restrictions = yes

and also not having the equivalent '/etc/pam.d/samba' file. In my case, I
decided to remove the following RPM packages from my RH9 install :

	- samba-client-2.2.7a-7.9.0
	- samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0
	- samba-common-2.2.7a-7.9.0

and one of those packages killed the relevant PAM config file. Thus, you'll
get greeted by the above error also.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

-- The Daft Idiot