[Samba] Samba and XP - potential newbie questions

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Tue Jun 24 18:06:03 GMT 2003

We run Samba on our internal LAN (about 20 workstations, mostly XP), and
until last night, we were using 2.2.6.  I've since updated to 3.0b1, hoping
to fix some *very* strange XP weirdness we're seeing.

The one XP Home client works just fine.  But of the rest (all XP Pro), we
get some erratic behaviour -- some people can't print, some people take ages
to mount drives, and some people can mount a drive, but only *sometimes*
look at the files within the share.

Before launching into individual details, are there any documents detailing
interoperability with 3.0 and XP?  We don't currently run a domain, but will
be setting one up (for only a third of the XP Pro workstations, however)
within the next couple of months.

Any pointers to anything XP related would be a godsend.