[Samba] RE: can not find domain name

robowarp at gmx.de robowarp at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 15:41:57 GMT 2003

> Hi there,
>
> This is my curent smb.conf I added the cahanges to
> passdb backend = /etc/samba/smbpasswd guest
>
> It stil can not find DOMAIN specified or it is telling me that User Name
> or password are incorrect.
>
> If chose to make machine accounts on the fly is, does samba then creates
> machines automaticly? Or what? I am realy new in Linux and Samba so if
> you see that I am doing something wrong pleas be specific when telling
> me what I do wrong?
>
> Tnx. In advace.
>
> Greatings,
>
> Admir

just to make clear
having unix account on the smb pdc is a must for every user you want to have
in samba
for linux side
there must be entry in /etc/passwd ( crypted /etc/shadow ,groups /etc/groups
)
normally this is created via useradd -m ( which means with home ) username
to set the password you type passwd username
then enter password twice
on suse etc this is done via yast admin tool, so you dont have to care
only check this via an editor like vi or pico etc.
the root account is in this bases as you give him a password at the setup of
the machine.
now every user which is in this passwd you can add
to your passdb backend ( i use a file call smbpasswd )
the program you need to create is called also smbpasswd
so for a user smbpasswd -a username
twice the password then it will have a entry in the file
/etc/samba/smbpasswd
if this path is correct at your install.
you have the choice for different pathes by setting entries in the smb.conf
make sure that they fit to exist files (check the logs)
root must have a valid entry in the passdb backend.
your right the script useradd does the job on the fly if your smb.conf and
the program paths are
right.
machine accounts on linux are nothing other as users without
homes and shell logins or passwords to mark this samba uses the $ as first
of the account name
so you have to have an entry in passwd like $testpc
and you can create this by command line with smbpasswd -a -m $testpc

i tested the samba3 beta an you need to have a logon share which some
special
features i will post my smb.conf later on the day so cyn compare but in
meantime this should take you further
regards