SV: [Samba] Trouble with CUPS/SAMBA - Solved

Bo Mellberg bo.mellberg at jolife.se
Tue Jun 24 06:39:09 GMT 2003

> I am so very sorry, that I have not been *constatntly*
> watching the list for your feedback, and that once I had
> responded to your second mail also, your "SOLVED" mail
> appeared within a minute in my mailbox.
>
> Now that *some* feedback from you is forthcoming, it is not
> what was asked for, unfortunately.

Ok, sorry if I jumped to conclusions. I was happy to have solved the
problem and could have used a "Glad you solved it, but have you
considered doing this instead...".

I think my setup is very frequent,
so a solution to this problem would probably be beneficial
to a lot of people.

> You have been asked a few very specific questions to help
> solve your problem which you never bothered to answer.
>
> > The versions are the the one installed by
> > RedHat Linux 9 (shrike).
>
> Now, if I knew by heart which versions of CUPS and Samba
> RH9 do install, I wouldn't need to ask further...

I wasn't at work when I wrote this so I hadn't got the info,
sorry for making an assumption that the above info would help
you at all...

CUPS: cups-1.1.17-13
Samba: samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0

> I tell you:
>
> * You was posting a smb.conf with a
>    "print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r" and some
>    other manually set commands.
>
> * Your posted smb.conf is quite in opposition to what
>    the smb.conf man page advices.
>
> * The "man page" says this:      ".......If  SAMBA  is
> compiled against
>                libcups, then printcap = cups uses the CUPS
> API to  submit
>                jobs, etc. Otherwise it maps to the System V
> commands with
>                the -oraw option for printing, i.e. it  uses
> lp  -c  -d%p
>                -oraw;  rm %s.  With printing = cups, and if
> SAMBA is com--
>                piled against libcups, any manually set print
> command will
>                be ignored."
>
> So *your* questions have been ansered. Maybe not well
> enough...

You can rest assure that I tried with the recommended setup
first (printing = cups), but when that failed I looked for
a solution on the net and came up with the above one.

/Bo