[Samba] Re: Hi need some understanding

RJPvT RJPvT at rjpconsultancy.net
Mon Jun 23 23:38:27 GMT 2003

Gémes Géza wrote:
> RJPvT írta:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> (sorry for my typos, i'm dutch :-) )
>>
>> First I would like to congratulate you all for a job wel done, the
>> samba 3.0 looks and works great.
>>
>> I have got a question neverteless,
>>
>> I want to use the user manager for winnt for my users and group admin.
>> but i also want to stay off the linux accounts since i don't want
>> everyone to be able to login to various programs
>>
>> i am using the tdbsam backend with the idmap, but i cannot create
>> users with the user manager, nor can i create groups.
>>
>> i know i will have to user net group and pdbedit to make these
>> but i cannot figure out the right syntaxes with the add user, add
>> group scripts in smb.conf
>>
>> also I cannot use more then 1 group per user, and would like te be
>> able to change this.
>>
>> Could you give me some pointers, or possible the commands for
>> add user, add group, delete user from, add user to, etc. ?
>>
>> this is my current smb.conf :
>>
>> [global]
>>         workgroup = RJPCNET
>>         netbios name = RJPC-srv1
>>         server string = Samba3
>>         passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
>>         password level = 8
>>         username level = 8
>>         syslog = 0
>>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m
>>         name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
>>         time server = Yes
>>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=8192
>> O_RCVBUF=8192
>>         disable spoolss = Yes
>>         domain logons = Yes
>>         os level = 35
>>         preferred master = Yes
>>         domain master = Yes
>>         wins support = Yes
>>         utmp = Yes
>>         idmap uid = 15000-20000
>>         idmap gid = 15000-20000
>>         comment = Samba 3.0.0
>>         printing = cups
>>

>> [homes]
>>         comment = Home Directories
>>         valid users = %S
>>         read only = No
>>         browseable = No
>>

>> [netlogon]
>>         comment = Network Logon Service
>>         path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
>>         admin users = root
>>         guest ok = Yes
>>         nt acl support = No
>>         browseable = No
>>         blocking locks = No
>>         csc policy = disable
>>         locking = No
>>         oplocks = No
>>         level2 oplocks = No
>>         posix locking = No
>>         strict locking = No
>>         share modes = No
>>

>> [simple]
>>         comment = simple share
>>         path = /tmp
>>         read only = No
>>

> I would suggest you to look at jht at samba.org 's smb.conf sent to the
> list two days ago , you will find it attached to this mail

> [...]
[..]
> 	unix password sync = Yes
> 	log level = 1
> 	syslog = 0
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m
> 	smb ports = 139 445
> 	name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
> 	time server = Yes
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
> 	printcap name = CUPS
> 	disable spoolss = Yes
> 	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
> 	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
> 	add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
> 	delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
> 	add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
> 	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u
> 	shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
> 	abort shutdown script = /sbin/shutdown -c
> 	logon script = scripts\logon.bat
[...]

I already used that one to create mine, but as I understand the
useradd/userdel command, this creates linux accounts that samba creates,
and that is exactly what I don't want to do

I want users to be created only for samba, without a linux account.

But thanks for the thinking.

Greetz, Richard