[Samba] german umlaut and samba 3

Holger Brückner lists at net-labs.de
Mon Jun 23 16:30:53 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 09:24, Lammersdorf, Lorenz wrote:
> hi all,
>
> we want to use samba to connect a windows machine and a linux server, the
> linux machine should read the windows-filesystem to backup it. in samba 2.xx
> we wasn't able to teach samba the german umlauts or filenames containing a
> blank. we tried the character substitution in smb.conf and of course we
> called smbmount with iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=cp850, but unforunatly it
> doesn't work. are there any changes in samba 3 that may help us solving this
> problem?

good question :) i have got the following:

samba 3.0beta1 running as a pdc with underlying fs ext3:
"umlauts" work as expected

samba 3.0beta1 running with security=server and underlying fs is
reiserfs:
"umlauts" don't work at all, even worse the filenames are cut of where a
"umlaut" appears. so for example a file named "Tolle Übung" would show
up as "Tolle ", which results in a file not found error, because the
clients try to access the wrong filename.

i'll try to find out the differences in these installations and post the
results. anybody here who could enligthen us on this issue ?!?

cya

Holger Brueckner
net-labs Systemhaus GmbH