[Samba] OT: Why are so many using Samba to authenticate as PDC??

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 09:21:16 GMT 2003

Jonathan Johnson wrote:
> We all know about cost. Are there any TECHNICAL reasons for running Samba?
> Have you found it to be superior to Windows NT or 2000 Server in some way?
> Are you using it for the challenge of *something different*? Are you hoping
> to 'advance the state of the art'?
>
> Just a few questions to get your brain cells moving, that's all.
>
> Personally, some things I like about Samba:
> * Remote administration is far easier, especially from non-M$ platforms (web
> interfaces, command line config file editing, no stinkin' registry with
> undocumented values
> * Share-level options that are only global in Windows
> * Provides *nix filesystem access to Windows clients
> * Ability to have multiple SMB servers in one machine
> * Ability to rename your PDC (Although this may screw things up!)

* Ability to do clever stuff like set up a "printer" that converts a
document to PDF and mails it back to the user.

* Ability to use an LDAP backend and make Samba part of a single sign on
environment.

* Security

* Lower hardware requirements than MS platform, as you don't get forced
to run a GUI, whether you like it or not.

* Stability

Mike.