[Samba] udp 137/138 vs tcp 139

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 23 04:34:52 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 19:51, frodone at supereva.it wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a samba PDC connected with 2 nics on the same network... (to
> increse bandwidth) well... connections on ports udp 137/138 go on the
> first nic, while tcp 139 goes out only on the second...
> why? Anybody knows?

This is probably due to the difference between UDP and TCP.  TCP will
try to return packets via the exact same route by which them came (not
strictly true, but this is what is happening here).  UDP will find the
'best' route to the host, without regard to where any previous packet
has come from, because the kernel doesn't actually know that there was a
previous packet.

Too increase bandwidth, you will need to use multi-channel bonding and a
specialized switch.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org