[Samba] Hi need some understanding

RJPvT RJPvT at rjpconsultancy.net
Mon Jun 23 01:15:59 GMT 2003

Hi guys,

(sorry for my typos, i'm dutch :-) )

First I would like to congratulate you all for a job wel done, the samba
3.0 looks and works great.

I have got a question neverteless,

I want to use the user manager for winnt for my users and group admin.
but i also want to stay off the linux accounts since i don't want
everyone to be able to login to various programs

i am using the tdbsam backend with the idmap, but i cannot create users
with the user manager, nor can i create groups.

i know i will have to user net group and pdbedit to make these
but i cannot figure out the right syntaxes with the add user, add group
scripts in smb.conf

also I cannot use more then 1 group per user, and would like te be able
to change this.

Could you give me some pointers, or possible the commands for
add user, add group, delete user from, add user to, etc. ?

this is my current smb.conf :

[global]
         workgroup = RJPCNET
         netbios name = RJPC-srv1
         server string = Samba3
         passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
         password level = 8
         username level = 8
         syslog = 0
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m
         name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
         time server = Yes
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=8192
O_RCVBUF=8192
         disable spoolss = Yes
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 35